Wednesday, November 24, 2010

{ Key Lime Pie }

My husband believes that there should be AT LEAST two pies for every person at the Thanksgiving holiday. I don't want to cook four pies so I said we could each make one. This is his favorite kind. I am having him make it, all by himself, from scratch, crust and all. He surprisingly has been talking about how excited he is to try it all week. Wish him luck with the hand juicer and the itty-bitty limes. I think I will make myself a cherry pie.

Ingredients

Filling
3 C sweetened condensed milk
1/2 C sour cream
3/4 C fresh key lime juice
1 Tbsp grated lime zest
Crust
1 1/2 C crushed graham crackers
1/4 C sugar
1/3 C melted butter


Directions 
1. Pre-heat oven to 350.  Start by making the crust. In a small bowl, combine the crumbs and sugar; add butter and blend well. Press onto the bottom and up the sides of an ungreased 9-in. pie plate.
2. Refrigerate for 30 minutes before filling, or bake at 350 for 10 minutes or until crust is lightly browned. Cool while assembling filling.
3.  In a medium bowl combine condensed milk, sour cream, lime juice and lime zest. Mix well and pour into graham cracker crust. Bake for 5-8 minutes until tiny pinhole bubbles burst on the surface of the pie. Do not brown!  Chill thoroughly before serving. Serve with whip cream and lime slices for a garnish.

1 comment:

  1. Did you take a picture of Rob juicing his little limes? And how did it turn out! Does Rob say it is better than the recipe our family always uses? I always like to find upgrades to pies!

    ReplyDelete